Walmart mask mandate

Picture of Tom Dougherty

Tom Dougherty, CEO – Stealing Share

20 July 2020

Walmart mask mandate sends a powerful statement

Today is an important day. Yep, because July 20, 2020 becomes the day the nation’s largest retailer requires its customers to wear masks. The Walmart mask mandate marks an important step in fighting COVID-19. Because many of our nation’s leaders refuse to do the same.

Walmart mask mandateWalmart is not only the largest retailer in the US, with revenue that would make it the 24th largest country in the world. It’s also the preferred retailer for many of those hard liners who refuse to wear a mask. Even though the rate of cases and deaths rise, especially in traditionally red states like Texas, Montana and Alabama. Or with governors refusing to enact face covering mandates, like Florida.

I know I’m making generalizations about Walmart’s audience but I think you get the point. The retailer represents the largest swath of the US population than anyone else. So the Walmart mask mandate becomes a more powerful edict than even most state governments can accomplish.

In an email sent to customers last Friday, Walmart stated: “According to the CDC and other health officials, COVID-19 can be spread by people who do not have symptoms and don’t know they are infected. This is a simple step that we and other retailers are taking to help protect your safety and the safety of others.”

“The Walmart mask mandate sends a stern message about the serious nature of COVID-19, and our leaders’ lack of proper response to it. We’re not going to beat this virus without Americans coming together. And, frankly, no one brings Americans closer together than Walmart. The numbers back that up.”

The Walmart mask mandate impacts more Americans than some states can

Like you would expect in the retail space, others are following. Walmart mask mandate is being replicated by Lowe’s, Aldi and Target. For once, the follow the leader path Walmart’s competition takes becomes a good thing.

I will admit I’m often at a loss as to why everyone doesn’t voluntarily wear masks in public places. The New York Times reported that 75% of Americans support wearing masks. But what about the other 25%?

Some of the dissenters claim it infringes on their rights. Their rights as what? Rights to infect the rest of the population? I don’t get it. When the Spanish Flu hit in the early 20th century, you would go to jail if you weren’t wearing a mask. I’m not suggesting that by many means. But America has always stood for what’s right. Have we lost that sense?

The Walmart mask mandate sends a stern message about the serious nature of COVID-19, and our leaders’ lack of proper response to it. We’re not going to beat this virus without Americans coming together. And, frankly, no one brings Americans closer together than Walmart. The numbers back that up.

See more posts in the following related categories: COVID-19 Walmart

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Effective marketing: How to be noticed

  Effective marketing  Tom Dougherty, CEO - Stealing Share 25 November 2020Effective marketing: How to be noticedMars, the maker of so many products it could go toe to toe with giant P&G, conducted a study that found marketers have about two seconds to...

Fast food marketing: Avoid inside-out thinking

  Fast food marketing  Tom Dougherty, CEO - Stealing Share 23 November 2020Fast food marketing: Avoid inside-out thinkingThis is going to sound like a slam on White Castle, but it’s not. It’s just that the fast food chain is promoting an element that’s...

Forget the breweries, only beer branding works

  Beer branding  Tom Dougherty, CEO - Stealing Share 18 November 2020Forget the breweries, only beer branding worksHaving worked with many craft beer brands, we at Stealing Share know many have one hang-up when it comes to stealing market share. They believe...

Share This